2018 Reserves Premiership

Friday, September 28, 2018 - 12:17 PM by Chris Pike

SUBIACO have made it back-to-back WAFL reserves premierships kicking the last two goals to overcome East Perth by 18 points at Optus Stadium on Sunday.

The Lions and Royals played out a dramatic and exciting second semi-final two weeks ago and it was a similarly tight and hard fought Grand Final contest between the Leederville Oval co-tenants.

That day two weeks ago saw Subiaco kick the opening eight goals of the game before East Perth stormed home to score a dramatic win to book their place in the Grand Final.

Subiaco had to win last week's second semi-final against Claremont and the Lions did to ensure the club had all three grades playing at Optus Stadium on Grand Final day.

The Lions' first attempt to create history and win all three grades started with the reserves game and it went right down to the wire.

East Perth did lead by 14 points a couple of times during the opening half, but Subiaco was up by seven at half-time.

By the time Asher Samelko goaled at the 17-minute mark of the last quarter, East Perth was just five points down but Subiaco ended up with the last two goals through Ryan Borchet and Tom Edwards-Baldwin to win 11.11 (77) to 9.5 (59).

Subiaco veteran Adam Cockie might have had a strong case to be included in the league side later in the day, but he shook off that disappointment to deliver a best on ground performance.

He won the Merv McIntosh Medal with 27 possessions, nine inside 50s, five marks, four tackles and a crucial last quarter goal.

Cockie was one of three Subiaco emergencies for the league side that played with Ryan Borchet also a strong contributor with three goals from 11 touches and six marks while Brad Stevenson kicked two goals as well.

Daniel Leach also racked up 22 possessions for the Lions while Craig Hoskins fought hard for 18 disposals and 13 tackles.

Michael Braut also had it 16 times, Nick Menegola 15, Mckenzie Lawrence 15 and Max Dennis 14.

Shannon Nelson was Subiaco's other multiple goal scorer with two.

Ben Miller, Nathan Eaton and Matthew Young all kicked two goals apiece for East Perth.

Miller also finished with 22 possessions and seven tackles, Eaton 16 disposals, six marks and five tackles, and Young 16 touches and five inside-50 entries.

Mitch Dobson racked up another 24 disposals for the Royals, Shayne Hille 17 (10 tackles) and ruckman Ajang Ajang 16 (33 hit outs).

Ryan Borchet started the Grand Final with the opening goal shaking off the disappointment of losing his place in the Subiaco league side after playing in the second semi-final win against South Fremantle.

East Perth responded through Ben Miller and the stage was set for a tremendous Grand Final.

The Royals kicked the next goal too through Blake Riley but the Lions hit back courtesy of Craig Hoskins.

East Perth did manage the next couple of goals with Matthew Young and Nathan Eaton handing them a 14-point advantage. Subiaco did get one back through Shannon Nelson just before quarter-time.

East Perth was back out to a 14-point lead with Eaton kicking his second goal to start the second quarter. But Subiaco steadied when Borchet kicked his second and the Lions added majors through Nelson and Brad Stevenson before half-time to take a seven-point lead into the main break.

It took 16 minutes into the third quarter for the first goal of the second half and that went East Perth's way with Miller kicking his second of the game.

Christian Ameduri snapped truly also for the only other goal of the third quarter with East Perth taking a five-point advantage into the last quarter.

It took just over a minute and Stevenson kicked his second to put Subiaco back on top but East Perth responded through Callan England.

But Cockie went on to drill an important goal for Subiaco after a high-tackle free kick and Subiaco's lead grew to 11 points when Borchet kicked his third.

East Perth got back in touch when Asher Samelko kicked truly but Subiaco had all the answers with a goal to Tom Edwards-Baldwin and another to Sean Bradley.

Subiaco went on to win by 18 points and despite a fiery finish to the game with tempers boiling over, it was a tremendous contest and the Lions claimed their second straight reserves premiership. 

SUBIACO 3.0 6.4 6.6 11.11 (77)
EAST PERTH 4.2 5.3 7.5 9.5 (59)
SUBIACO Goals: Borchet 3; Nelson, Stevenson 2; Edwards-Baldwin, Bradley, Hoskins, Cockie.
Best: Cockie, Hoskins, Borchet, Leach, Dennis, Braut, Lawrence.
EAST PERTH Goals: Young, Eaton, Miller 2; Samelko, England, Riley.
Best: Dobson, Miller, Hille, Ajang, Eaton, Young.
MERV McINTOSH MEDAL: Adam Cockie (Subiaco).